Sunday, November 21, 2010

Mecca

Today, on a beautiful Sunday morning, I decided to take a drive down to Holmdel to view the State Cross Country Championship Course. The state's cross country season officially ended yesterday with the Meet of Champions so I knew the park would not be crowded. I had never been to Holmdel Park, either to watch a race or just to visit. I had another reason for wanting to view the course for the first time. Although still being cautiously optimistic about next year's possible X-C team at E-City, my goal would be to take them there for the states. And this would be a first preview of the course for that race.
The park was easy to get to. Exit 114 and a few country roads brought me to the park. In hand I had a map of the course and a memory full of X-C videos of races held at the park. I found the starting line easily and proceeded to walk the course. As I traversed the running path I was amazed at what I was discovering. This is a true cross country course--almost all gravel, lots of open areas, and lots of woods running too. And it is a tough course--many hills including a hill which should be named "heartbreak". The entire park is very beautiful; even to a non-runner, the "bowl" is an incredible sight.
As I neared the finish, I had the temptation to go back to the car, lace up my running shoes, and give the course a jog. But I had already had done four miles in the morning so I just went back to the car.
I knew I had to come back soon to run this course and before the weather turned any colder. I am planning to do so one week from today. And I will definitely try to factor a run in whenever I visit family I have in the area.
In other news:
The N-City AD called to let me know that he has my second check. It's nice to get that money a lot sooner without all the letter writing to their treasurer, even though the amount is smaller.
Three more Juniors at E-City have expressed interest in running next year. The E-City now had six definites, three maybes, and a tennis player who wants to work out with the team.
This Thursday I'll be running in a 5K in Flemington with an old Pru/running friend and his family. Since Labor Day, I have been only running about three days a week and have lost some of my summer strength. So I'm shooting for a time of 28 minutes.

No comments: