Saturday, February 28, 2009

After One Week

In a previous blog entry, I mentioned that there were about 22 freshman girls who were either on the basketball team or who signed up for my softball team tryouts. I added a few others who "looked" like they could be runners. I figured some of them would reply to my Girls X-C flyers this week. Well, so far, two have expressed interest in joining a team. And those two were NOT on my list of potential runners. Not only that, they are both cheerleaders (in another entry, I mentioned that I would prefer the real female athletes and not the tennis players nor the cheerleaders).

Well, one of the girls is in my freshman math class. She sounded very interested and I told her to try and get some of her classmates to join. The other cheerleader said she always enjoyed track and wanted to join. I too told her to try and get others to join.

So as of right now, I have two girls on the "future" team. I had hoped to have had a few more stop by my classroom and I wonder if any more will come in the next few weeks. Softball tryouts start next Monday. I am going to set a deadline date for myself of April 30--to decide whether I have enough girls to coach at E-City and resign from N-City, or to give up on E-City and go back to N-City.

As for the payment from N-City, it finally arrived today. At my interview in September, the AD quoted me the amount I would get for coaching the school's X-C team. The number was quite large (more than my E-City softball and X-C payment amounts combined), so I figured he was blowing smoke or I was mishearing him. Well, today when I opened the envelope and looked at the check, sure enough it was all there. That amount of money for baby-sitting a group of kids who have no commitment nor are in any kind of shape may make going back to N-City in September a lot easier than I expected.

Stay tuned.

No comments: