Monday, September 29, 2008

Just like "Hoosiers"

No, we didn't win a championship. It's just that I gave the team the Norman Dale locker room speech. Not the good one at the end but the one where he ripped into them after the first game they played. Last Friday we had a 2 PM practice scheduled. With the rain I decided to have the practice in the gym. One runner showed up. I was p-o'd !!! I cancelled Saturday's practice because how could I know if anyone would show up on that day as well?

Today at our pre-practice meeting, I let them have it (those that showed up). A Norman Dale speech about commitment to the sport and the team. And a new team rule--miss two practices and you face a suspension for an indefinite amount of time. I hope I got thru to them. Then I told them to meet me at the park.

Of course you can't stay mad at a team too long, so when we met in the park, I was the usual fun-loving coach. They had a good 2.1 loop followed by Intra Squad Meet # 2. Team B won again 9-12.

Wednesday is the big day. Real Meet # 1. Tomorrow we'll have a light workout followed by an info-packed meeting about the race. The AD should have the uniforms sometime tomorrow. We should have 5 or 6 girls racing and 3 boys in their race.

1 comment:

ray said...

Good luck to you and the team!