Thursday, August 28, 2008

Life Support

Another disappointing day for the E City X-C Team. Today, only one of the runners (A) showed up. He told me that S was in Canada and wouldn't be back til Tuesday. Nice of him to tell me. The two managers didn't show up either, but either way, I wasn't going to have a practice with one runner. So I told him that I was going to cancel practices until we got some more guys on the team. I then gave him a ride back to his house in the team van.

During the morning I also got a call from one of the runners who were in Cape May on Monday saying that he was also dropping out since practice was going to be held every day. And another runner's (who was a basketball player) father wouldn't let him join two sports because he felt he would suffer academically.

So the existence of this team will depend on two things. 1) hopefully some of the original 17 will show up once school starts. I would assume that they would be ready then after not running during the summer and also not wanting to have any kind of practices before school starts. 2) a real good sales pitch will need to be made to the Freshman class on Wednesday. That's the only way this program will grow--from the early grades.

So next week will determine if this blog will continue or slowly die like my other one. LOL

No comments: